By Michelle Marchante
UPDATE May, 23, 2017: The Prime Minister announced that the threat level has been raised to critical, according to Deputy Chief Ian Pilling’s overnight statement. People across the Greater Manchester area are expected to see an increased police presence throughout the day.
The suicide bomber was identified by police to be Salman Abedi, 22, a man born in Britain in 1994, according to the New York Times, and had traveled multiple times to Libya, the birth place of his parents. The police are currently doing an investigation to determine if he was acting alone or with “a network.”
Police were able to identify him after rescue workers found his identification card among the carnage. The New York Times also reports that he had previously been barred from his mosque in 2015 for “expressing support for the Islamic State” and became “a person of interest” for the intelligence agencies at the time.
Read the original article below:
At least 19 people were confirmed dead and 50 injured after officers responded to an explosion that occurred Monday night at Manchester Arena in England during an Ariana Grande concert, police said.
“We are currently treating this as a terrorist incident until we know otherwise,” Chief Constable Ian Hopkins of the Greater Manchester police said in a statement.
The injured, he said, are being treated across the Greater Manchester area in six different hospitals.
Police received reports around 10:33 p.m. Monday night of an explosion at the Manchester Arena in the city centre and was at the end of an Ariana Grande concert.
Manchester Arena confirmed the incident on their Twitter account and said that the incident took place outside the venue.
The incident is still under investigation, but ISIS has claimed responsibility, and the police will continue to give updates as they receive more information, the police said on their Twitter, but media outlets such as CNN, NBC and Fox have reported that a suicide bomber is believed to have caused the explosion.
“Officers from GMP and emergency services are working at the scene and are supporting those affected,” Hopkins said. “We are co-ordinating the responses from the GMP headquarters.”
Joseph Carozza, a representative from Grande’s record label has confirmed to ABC7 that the 23-year-old singer was uninjured in the incident.
Grande sent out a tweet at 7:51 p.m. stating “broken. from the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry. i don’t have words.”
The police are requesting that people avoid the area and if they have any concerns to report it to them through their Anti-Terrorist Hotline 0800-789-321 and for those that are concerned about loved ones or any one who may have potentially be in the area can contact their emergency number 0161-856-9400.
This story will be updated as more information becomes available.